Probably you know that it is important to use moisturizer to keep your skin hydrated. But do you know that you can treat acne or protect your skin from acne-breakouts by using the best moisturizers for acne prone skin? Yes, the simple way to handle acne without clogging pores and avoiding new blackheads is to use best moisturizers for acne prone skin. All you need to do is to use a lightweight moisturizer.
People who have acne-prone skin struggle to find the right moisturizer for their skin that can ensure hydration without the greasy feeling and without clogging pores. In our previous works, we have reviewed best moisturizers for sensitive skin, best moisturizers for dry skin, and best moisturizers for combination skin. Now, we have compiled a list of best moisturizers for acne prone skin that will maintain the hydration level and treat acne as well.
Before going to the discussion on the best moisturizers for acne prone skin, let’s have a look what makes a moisturizer good for acne or pimples, the nature of acne prone skin and how to deal with acne-prone skin.
What Causes Acne?:
According to the American Academy of Dermatology, Acne is the most common skin condition in the U.S.A, and they expressed that about 40 to 50 million Americans have acne at any one time. Acne is caused by many factors. Our skin has tiny holes that we call pore. When pores are clogged or blocked by dirt, oil, bacteria or dead skin cell, your skin will develop “a pimple” or “zit”. If you are suffering this condition repeatedly, then you may have acne.
Symptoms of Acne:
Most of the people thought that acne means only pimples. But a person who has acne may have the following blemishes:
- Comedones (Both Blackheads and whitehead). Blackheads open at the surface of your skin and give a black appearance because of the effect of oxygen in the air while whiteheads are closed just under the surface of your skin giving them a white appearance.
- Papules are small red, raised bumps. It is caused by inflamed or infected hair follicles.
- Pustules are red colored small blister or a pimple on the skin containing pus.
- Nodules are a small swelling or aggregation of cells in the body. It is solid and often painful lumps beneath the surface of your skin.
- Cysts are large lumps found beneath your skin. It is painful and contains pus.
Causes of Acne:
The main reason of acne is clogged pores. Our pores can clog for many reasons such as:
- Dead skin cell: Our dead skin cell rises to the surface of our face. So, when our face produces lots of oil or sebum, these dead cells stick together inside the pore and blocked pore.
- Bacteria: Sometimes bacteria that live on our face go inside the pore where it finds the perfect environment for reproduction and growth. As a result, the pores became swallow and red for these loads of bacteria. When these inflammations reach deep into the skin, acne cyst occur.
- Excessive sebum: When overactive oil glands generate excessive oil or sebum, it can mix with the dead cells, dirt, or debris on your skin and clogged pores
- Dirt: When we go outside, we faced dirt and dust. If we do not clean this dirt, it will stick together inside pore and plugged pore.
- Other reasons: Other factors that cause acne are your genes, hormones, stress levels, and menstruation.
Unfortunately, we may not deal with your genetics problem. Except for the genetical problem, you can handle the other reasons that cause acne by unclogging pore. Selecting the right moisturizer formulated for your acne-prone skin is the best way to keep away from breakouts. Here, we have reviewed best moisturizers for acne prone skin that will help to fight against acne.
How to choose the best moisturizers for acne-prone skin:
Markets are loaded with lots of beauty products including moisturizers. Among the vast number of products, you may choose the best moisturizers for acne prone skin based on the following tips:
- Avoid moisturizers with SD alcohol or denatured alcohol as they will dry out your skin
- Choose moisturizers without artificial fragrances and dyes.
- Stay away from oily creams. Even if you have dehydrated skin, select a lightweight moisturizer.
- For acne-prone skin, you should also avoid moisturizers with Emollients such as Shea butter and lanolin. Though they ensure hydration, there is also the chance of clogging pores.
- Moisturizer with sunscreen can be great. But before choosing a moisturizer with sunscreen, check the ingredients as some chemicals can cause skin irritation.
- Choose moisturizer enriched with tea tree oil, jojoba oil and aloe vera.
- Other active ingredients that are good for acne-prone skin: Benzoyl peroxide, Salicylic acid, Alpha hydroxy acids, and Sulfur.
In short, the moisturizer that is lightweight and does not clog pore is the right moisturizer for acne prone skin. Try to use the moisturizer at day and night and get a healthy looking skin.
Ingredients that will heal and soothe your acne-prone skin:
The following elements are found in the best moisturizer for acne-prone skin:
- Water: Water is lightweight and non-comedogenic or does not clog pores
- Glycerin: Humectants such as Glycerin, grape seed oil, and hyaluronic acid moisture your skin
- Vitamin E and aka tocopheryl acetate heals acne
- Vitamin B3 or niacinamide strengthens skin’s defences and reduces redness
- Jojoba oil is a natural oil for skin and safe for acne. The antibacterial properties of jojoba oil fight against Propionibacterium acnes or fight the bacteria that caused acne
- Aloe vera has antibacterial properties that soothe and heals acne and also reduces the redness caused by acne
- Tea tree oils are used for centuries for treating acne. Tea tree oils penetrate the skin to unblock the sebaceous glands, disinfect pores and dry out whiteheads, blackheads, pimples and other blemishes.
- Bentonite Clay is a highly absorbent clay that is used to treat acne and similar problems.
Now let’s see the best moisturizers for acne prone skin which will heal your acne.
Best Moisturizers for Acne Prone Skin:
1.Era Organics Natural Tea Tree Oil Face Cream – for oily and acne prone skin:
Era Organics produces products with natural organic ingredients and ensures superfood for your skin feeding vitamins, minerals, enzymes, amino acids, and fatty acids to your skin. You will get smoother, and healthier skin by using this Natural Tes Tree Oil Face Cream – for Oily and Acne Prone Skin. The moisturizer is formulated with seven powerful natural and organic ingredients that ensure the nutrition, balance and environment required to heal and even out your skin.
Ingredients: Salicylic acid, water, glycerin, seven natural ingredients such as Tea tree oil, goldenseal, burdock root, aloe vera, pomegranate seed oil, St. John’s wort, and dandelion root.
- Fights against acne, blackheads, or blemishes.
- Best for acne-prone skin, oily skin, combination skin, Cystic Acne, Rosacea, Blemishes, and Blackheads.
- Salicylic acid prevents pores from becoming plugged.
- Free from toxin, paraben and mineral oil.
- Soften and smoothen your skin
- Fight against the acne-causing bacteria and impurities.
- Open clogged pores
- Decrease redness and irritation
- The anti-inflammatory properties of tea tree oil reduce redness and irritation.
- Natural anti-fungal and antimicrobial properties in tea tree oil treats acne
- John’s Wort is a flower which is naturally antibacterial, anti-inflammatory, and soothes and firms skin
- Aloe Vera is loaded with Vitamins (A, C, B and E), minerals such as Zinc, Calcium, Magnesium and Copper and enzymes that ensure deep hydration.
- Aloe Vera accelerated skin cell growth and had powerful anti-inflammatory properties, an anti-bacterial element that heals acne.
- Aloe Vera also increases blood circulation and gives your skin a glowing look.
- Pomegranate Seed Oil contains omega-5 fatty acid that protects against cancer-causing UV rays and sun damage.
- Pomegranate Seed Oil also fights against ageing.
- Burdock root treats chronic skin conditions like acne, eczema, and psoriasis.
- Herb Goldenseal also prevents acne.
- Dandelion root helps to balance oily, acne prone skin by fighting against acne-causing bacteria and reduces inflammation.
2. Vichy Normaderm Beautifying Anti Acne Moisturizer for Oily Skin and Acne-Prone Skin
Vichy Normaderm Beautifying Anti Acne Moisturizer is formulated for the oily or acne prone skin. The moisturizer contains 1.5% salicylic acid that helps to unclog pores and prevents lesions. Apart from these, the moisturizer exfoliates your skin and renews your skin. Though it claims that it can protect your skin for 24 hours, it is suggested to use three times a day avoiding eye areas.
Ingredients: Thermal Water from French volcanoes that includes fifteen essential minerals, Glycerin, 1.5% salicylic acid, Air Licium + Phe resorcinol, and others.
- Hydrating anti-blemish moisturizer
- Lasts for 24 hours
- Best for Shine, Acne, Enlarged Pores, Dullness
- Salicylic acid clears up pores and pimples.
- Exfoliates dead cells and renew cells
- Glycerin helps your skin to soak moisturizer and makes your skin soft and smooth
- Fifteen essential minerals of thermal water nourish your skin.
- Allergy tested
- Salicylic acid may cause a reaction if you are allergic to aspirin.
- Use denatured alcohol.
3. The Body Shop Tea Tree Mattifying Lotion
The Body Shop Tea Tree Mattifying Lotion is a lightweight moisturizer that uses pure tree tea oil for treating acne problems. It is a daytime moisturizer and suitable for acne or blemishes prone skin.
Main Ingredients: Tea tree oil and other chemicals along with water.
- Gives you a matte finishing.
- Absorbs easily
- Does not clog pores
- Lightweight daytime moisturizer
- 100% vegan
- Paraben-free and Gluten-free
- Provides hydration
- Controls excess sebum
4. Cetaphil Dermacontrol Moisturizer SPF 30
Dermatologists recommend Cetaphil Dermacontrol Moisturizer SPF 30 for acne prone skin due to the presence of healing ceramide, zinc, and oleosome technology which protect your skin’s natural moisture as well as inhibiting acne. The 3-in-1 formula gives a beautiful matte finish with protection from harmful UV rays.
Ingredients: Glycerin and others
- Offers UVA/UVB protection
- Treats acne
- Moisturize well
- Reduce redness
- Soften rough spots
- Make your skin suppler with its age-defying components.
- Micropearl technology ensures a matte finish; Lightweight, non-greasy, absorbs quickly
- Would not clog pores
- Paraben-free and fragrance-free.
- Glycerin works as humectants
- Gentle enough for use with prescription acne treatments
- Lightweight, non-greasy formula
- Hypoallergenic, non-comedogenic, non-acnegenic
5. Boscia’s Oil-Free Daily Hydration SPF 15
Boscia’s Oil-Free Daily Hydration SPF 15 is one of the best moisturizers for acne prone skin for the famous Japanese brand Bosica. The skin is recommended for all types of skin and reduces the appearance of acne, breakouts and wrinkles.
Ingredients: Jojoba oil, Willowherb, Wine yeast, Burdock root, silica powder, Citrus Aurantium Amara (Bitter Orange) Flower Extract, Zinc Oxide, Rosemary leaf extracts, Water, and more.
- Better suited for oily and acne-prone skin.
- Very lightwthe eight
- Reduces wrinkles and fine lines.
- Decreases acne and breakouts
- Protects from harmful UV rays
- Antibacterial properties of the moisturizer treat sebum and germs that can exacerbate breakouts
- Polysaccharide gives essential moisture
- Wine yeast and marine complex helps to protect against external elements
- Burdock root, silica powder and other effective ingredients refine the look of pores, control excess oil and help prevent premature ageing
- Jojoba leaf, a powerful antioxidant, combats free radicals and treats bacteria that causes acne
- Willowherb helps to calm skin inflammation and reduces visible redness and irritation.
- Not best for dry skin.
- Costly ( $64)
6. Murad Perfecting Night Cream, 3: Hydrate/Protect
If you are using Murad’s day cream with SPF, you should choose Murad Perfecting Night Cream for Night. The cream nourishes and rejuvenates skin overnight by restoring lost moisture and promoting healthy cell turnover. The fatty acids, sunflower oil, green tea, and Vitamin E used in the cream regenerate and rehydrate your face overnight.
Ingredients: Fatty acids, sunflower oil, green tea, Vitamin E, water, etc.
- Minimizes wrinkles and fine lines.
- Shrinks pores
- Restore suppleness
- Softens the skin
- Ensures hydration for a long time
- Essential Fatty Acids protect skin’s barrier and prevent moisture loss.
- Sunflower Oil enhances skin elasticity and suppleness.
- Green Tea and Vitamin E help rejuvenate and prevent damage.
7. Murad Anti-Aging Moisturizer Broad Spectrum SPF30
Murad is one of the popular brands from the USA. Murad Anti-Aging Moisturizer Broad Spectrum SPF30 ensures long-lasting protection from the sun. It also ensures hydration and moisture of your skin. Murad Anti-Aging Moisturizers has anti-ageing ingredients that fight against wrinkles and fine lines. As a result, you look younger.
Ingredients: Willow bark extract, Kombucha collagen defense, black tea extract, Vitamin E, and tea tree oil.
Sunscreen ingredients: avobenzone, homosalate, octinoxate, and octisalate.
- Kombucha Defense reduces the appearance of wrinkles and fine lines.
- Protects from UVA and IVB.
- Absorbers quickly, neither matte nor dry
- Very light
- Not greasy
- Oil Control Complex® helps keep pores clear
8. Eltamd UV Clear SPF 46
The best thing about EltaMD UV moisturizer is its sunscreen agents. The moisturizer is made with all-natural zinc oxide which is better than other chemicals sun-blocking agents. You can wear it under your makeup. Award-winning cosmetic surgeon and dermatologist Dr Joel Schlessinger recommends the moisturizer with SPF for his acne patients:
“Elta Clear is one of my favorite sunscreens for individuals who seek a great sunscreen that is not overly moisturizing, but gives protection that is superior . . . I use it on all my acne-prone patients as well.”
Ingredients: Hyaluronic acid, Vitamin E, Niacinamide or Vitamin B3, etc.
- Softens and hydrates your skin
- Paraben-free and fragrance-free
- Hyaluronic acid and Vitamin E to immediately moisturize your skin
- Vitamin B3 treats skin irritation and redness
- Anti-oxidant protection protects your skin from ageing
- sensitivity-free and noncomedogenic
9. Burt’s Bees Natural Acne Solutions Daily Moisturizing Lotion
Burt’s Bees Natural Acne Solutions Daily Moisturizing Lotion is one of the best moisturizers for acne prone skin that is made with natural ingredients. Burt’s Bees is the brand that you can trust for natural products. The salicylic acid used in the moisturizer unclogs pores.
Ingredients: Hazel, willow bark, lemongrass, hops, goldenseal, salicylic acid and others.
- Made with natural ingredients
- Unclog Pores
- Soothe skin
- Calm redness
- Controls oil
- protects against blemishes
- Formulated with naturally derived salicylic acid
10. Dennis Gross Skincare Hydra-Pure Oil-Free Moisture
Dr Dennis Gross Skincare Hydra-Pure Oil-Free Moisture is a lightweight moisturizer which is specially designed for oily or acne-prone skin. It reduces and reverses the sign of ageing with antioxidants, peptides and Dr Gross’ proprietary Chelating Complex.
Ingredients: Antioxidants, peptides and Dr Gross’ proprietary Chelating Complex
Dr Gross’ proprietary Chelating Complex: It is a blend of detoxifying compounds that protect skin from harmful elements. This anti-ageing and ultra-light hydration formula also defends against breakouts. It also penetrates deeply to neutralize harmful metals and free radicals left behind by tap water and perspiration.
- Fast absorbing
- Never feel oily
- Reduces the appearance of wrinkles and fine lines
- Protects, repairs and reverses the signs of ageing
- Defends against breakouts
- Treats irritated skin
- Softens hard water and removes heavy metals that antioxidants cannot
- Combats free radical damage
- Reduces redness and irritation
- Especially suited for Oily, combination and acne-prone skin
- Free of paraben, oil and fragrance
- Expensive ( $ 78 + Shipping)
11.Clean & Clear Essential Dual Action Moisturizer
Clean & Clear is one of the popular skin care brands owned by the renowned Johnson & Johnson that gives a line of dermatology products. Clean& Clear Essential Dual Action Moisturizer is formulated with Salicylic Acid (0.5%) and oil-free skin conditioners that treats acne or blemishes. With the affordable price, the moisturizer ensures softer, smoother, and blemish-free skin
Active Ingredients: Salicylic Acid (0.5%)
- Prevents pimples
- Salicylic Acid helps to unclog pores
- Moisturizes dry skin
- Perfect for all skin types
- Make your skin softer and smoother
- Hydrates well
12. Neutrogena Oil-free Acne Moisturizer Pink Grapefruit
Neutrogena has long been considered as a perfect brand for treating many acne issues. Neutrogena Oil-free Acne Moisturizer Pink Grapefruit is made with active Salicylic acid that treats acne efficiently and natural grapefruit. Grapefruit extract increases the pH of the skin and reduces acne. It also helps you to get glowing skin.
Ingredients: Salicylic acid and natural grapefruit
- Salicylic acid controls acne.
- Grapefruit extract increases pH of your skin.
- Grapefruit extract reduces acne and makes your skin glowing.
- Prevents breakouts
- Created with a water-based formula
- Would not clog pores
- Moisturize your skin.
13. Neutrogena Oil-Free Moisture SPF 35
Neutrogena is a number one Dermatologist Recommended Acne Brand. Earlier we have reviewed the Neutrogena Oil-free Acne Moisturizer Pink Grapefruit. Here is another amazing moisturizer for treating acne called Neutrogena Oil-Free Moisture SPF 35. This moisturizer is made with helioplex technology that offers protection from sun damage and other environmental hazards.
- Protects your skin from harmful UV rays
- Protects from the environmental hazards that can irritate and damage your skin.
- Non-comedogenic or would not clog pores
- hypoallergenic, and fragrance-free
- Ensures comfortable and lightweight coverage
- Suitable for various skin types.
14. La Mer The Moisturizing Cream
The legendary Creme de la Mer has the power to transform the skin. This is one of the luxurious choices for you. If you are very conscious about your skin and want to choose something trustworthy, this is the best choice for you. It will reduce your pores and fine lines and makes your skin younger. Dr. Green recommends the moisturizer if you are looking for a thick moisturizer.
- Ensures firm skin
- Reduces wrinkles and fine lines
- Heals dryness with a deep moisturizer
- Ultra-rich cream for natural, healthy radiance.
- Minimize pores
- Pricey ( $99)
- Thick moisturizer
15. Bee Naturals Best Oil Free Moisturizer
Bee Naturals Best Oil-Free Moisturizer is suited for both men and women. It is also perfect for all types of skin. The moisturizer is formulated with the extract of the plant Feverfew, also known as wild chamomile that fights against inflammation in the skin.
Ingredients: Purified water, vegetable glycerin, witch hazel, honey, hyaluronic acid, aloe, Vitamins B3 and C, extracts of several herbs like Feverfew, watercress, sage, and burdock root, plus essential oils of tea tree and lavender.
- Offers a delightful scent
- Treats acne
- Bets for oily and acne prone skin
- Ideal for both men and women
- 100% natural product
- 100% oil-free
16. DDF Ultra-Lite Oil-Free Moisturizing Dew
Our last selection is DDF Ultra-Lite Oil-Free Moisturizing Dew which is one of the best moisturizers for acne prone skin. It lasts for a long time and gives a non-greasy feeling. The product won award for the Best Face Moisturizer for Oily Skin at the CEW Beauty Awards.
Key Ingredients: Glycerin, extracts of grape seed and green tea, s Vitamins A, B3, B5, C, and E.
- Hydrates skin without clogging pores
- Absorbs quickly
- Restores water levels and strengthens skin’s barriers
- Glycerin maintains the moisture level
- Includes Parabens.
Hope you have found the right moisturizer for your skin. You may select moisturizer based on your skin problems. However, before applying moisturize, clean your face with a gentle cleanser and always remove makeup before sleeping. Try to exfoliate once or twice a week. And remember to wash your hand before applying moisturizers.